Discrimination Attorney Los Angeles
Federal law strictly forbids employers from discriminating against employees based on specific protected characteristics. Discrimination on account of a person’s race, age, disability, gender, pregnancy, national origin or sexual orientation is illegal in California. Furthermore, employers cannot retaliate or terminate employees who report instances of discrimination in the workplace. Consulting an experienced Los Angeles discrimination attorney is the best way to protect your rights since there is only a limited amount of time to file your claim.
Taking a stand against discrimination in Los Angeles
Over more than 20 years, Los Angeles discrimination attorney Matthew A. Kaufman has obtained numerous successful results on behalf of thousands of employees in Los Angeles. He assists clients who have either been the victims of workplace discrimination or suffered retaliation for reporting it. Our most common practice areas include:
- Racial Discrimination – Using race as the basis for making employment decisions is illegal by both state and federal standards. Moreover, employers that tolerate racial discrimination and harassment can be held legally responsible for allowing such behaviour to occur.
- National Origin Discrimination – Similar to racial discrimination, national origin discrimination occurs when a person’s home country, ancestry or culture forms the basis of discriminatory actions on the part of his or her employer.
- Disability Discrimination – The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and California’s own Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) protect qualified employees with disabilities against discrimination. Under these laws, employers must provide reasonable accommodations for such employees who can perform the essential functions of a position.
- Pregnancy Discrimination – California has unique laws above and beyond the federal law that protect women’s rights to pregnancy leave. These laws require that employers treat pregnant women the same as other employees for all employment purposes, including benefits such as reasonable pregnancy leave.
- Age Discrimination – Sometimes older employees become victims of discrimination in hiring or receiving other job benefits. The federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) and FEHA protect the rights of workers 40 and older from discrimination based on their age.
- Sexual Orientation Discrimination – While there are currently no federal laws governing discrimination based on sexual orientation or affiliation, California law specifically protects heterosexuals, homosexuals (gays and lesbians) and bisexuals from sexual orientation discrimination. It further protects transsexuals and transgender persons from discrimination.
A Los Angeles discrimination attorney fighting for your rights
When it comes to discrimination in the workplace, The Kaufman Law Firm has over two decades of experience protecting as well as enforcing the rights of many employees throughout Los Angeles and the surrounding cities. We offer strong advocacy and expert legal counsel to employees in a variety of discrimination claims, no matter how complex these cases may be. We listen to your concerns and advise the best course of action for your specific circumstances.
If you have experienced workplace discrimination, contact Los Angeles discrimination attorney Matthew A. Kaufman for an assessment of your discrimination claim. We are conveniently located to represent clients throughout southern California. The first consultation is free of charge.