Westlake Village (818) 990-1999
Los Angeles (310) 981-3404
The steps to file for unemployment
On behalf of The Kaufman Law Firm posted in Employee Rights on Friday, August 18, 2017.

Unemployment insurance is coverage provided to workers that lose their jobs. It isn’t available to everyone so you must apply for these payments. California provides several options to file for unemployment claims, including online, via mail and over the phone. Unemployment claims are managed by the Employment Development Department (or “EDD”).

The EDD released guidelines on the documentation and information you should have with you prior to filing a claim to reduce delays in processing your claim. This article will briefly go over that required information.

Most of the information settles around you and your former employer. The EDD requires sufficient contact and personal information to verify you identity. You will be asked to provide your driver’s license information, social security number, name, address and phone number.

The rest of the information then focuses on your last job. You must provide the last date that you worked. Additionally, if you are working part-time and applying for unemployment – you must provide the number of hours you work each week. Working does not eliminate your benefits but it will reduce the payments. Moreover, you must report any departure benefits provided by your employer. Severance and residual payments may also reduce your payments however it should not invalidate them.

You also need to provide contact information for your last employer such as: physical address, phone number and mailing address. Make sure this information is accurate because the EDD will send them information regarding your claim. You will be asked the reason for your departure. Were you fired, quit or laid-off? It may be helpful to write out a brief statement to collect and organize your thoughts. If you quit or were fired then you may have a follow-up telephone interview.

If you believe that your employer did not respect your rights under the law or under your contract then you may have a valid claim. You may want to speak an attorney to review the circumstances and determine the best course of action.

Share on: