Westlake Village (818) 990-1999
Los Angeles (310) 981-3404
What Are California’s Child Labor Laws?
On behalf of The Kaufman Law Firm posted in Wage & Hour Law on Thursday, March 9, 2017.

When it comes to child labor laws, one of the most difficult parts can be understanding what is required in your state. The California Department of Industrial Relations states that children under the age of 16 are required to attend school unless they have already completed high school. Even after high school is completed, your child is still considered a minor until he or she turns 18 and is subject to working laws for minors, unless a waiver is obtained.

In order to work, your child will need to obtain a permit if he or she has not completed high school. The business or place of employment will also need to obtain a special permit in order to hire minors. If your child is over the age of 16, he or she can also choose to enroll in the Work Experience Education program.

There are some situations in which the permit requirement will be waived. These can include self-employment or odd jobs, like mowing lawns, delivering papers and babysitting. If you own a viticulture, horticulture or agriculture business and employ your child there, no permit is required. This also applies if you employ your child in domestic labor.

Minors who are involved in certain events for prize money are also not required to hold a permit. This can include racing animals, exhibitions, and contests. Rodeo events, such as bull riding and bareback riding, are also exempt from permits. This information is intended to educate you on specific child labor laws and should not be taken as legal advice.

Share on: